In Partnership with Families,Mt. Hamilton Baptist Day Care, “Pumpkin Patch”, provides a professionally led, child centred program, in a Christian environment.
Ontario Early Learning
In Ontario, we have the “Early Learning for Every Child Today, A Framework for Ontario early childhood settings.”
The Statement of Principles provided in this document is based on beliefs, values, experience and current research findings. There are 6 overarching principles that orient Early learning for Every Child Today:
- Early child development sets the foundation for lifelong learning, behaviour and health.
- Partnerships with families and communities strengthen the ability of early childhood settings to meet the needs of young children.
- Respect for diversity, equity and inclusion are prerequisites for honouring children’s rights, optimal development and learning.
- A planned curriculum supports early learning.
- Play is a means to early learning that capitalizes on children’s natural curiosity and exhuberance.
- Knowledgeable responsive early childhood professionals are essential.
Using a strength based approach to programming the classroom teachers do regular observations and document the children’s skills and activities. Based on that information they choose emerging skills to focus on and use the child’s interest to engage them in fun play and activities that will facilitate the skill development. Teachers refer to the Continuum of Development to track each child’s development and to select new goals.
With a thorough understanding of each child and the children’s interests the program falls into place.